How many times a day do you stop and think about your posture? Most of us don’t give it a second thought until we suffer an injury. Anyone who has suffered from a back injury or chronic back pain can tell you it is hard not to think about it. Back pain is not without cost both emotionally and financially.
Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease 2010. Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. Do you know that back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections? Also, do you know that statistics have shown nearly 80-90% of the population will be affected by spinal issues at some point during their lifetime?
Below are some proven strategies for a healthy spine:
- Know your ideal body weight and stay within 10 pounds of that weight. Carrying around unnecessary body weight will put stress on all areas of the human frame, including the spine.
- Always stretch before and after your workout.
- Avoid slumping in your chair. Keep the shoulders back and the spine straight.
- Use your leg muscles not your back muscles. Bend the legs to pick up items below waist level. Do not bend at the waist.
- Try to support your body as you sleep. Pain at any time is not normal.
Dr. Chait is be offering complimentary posture analysis performed at Chait Chiropractic Center. Call today at (941)371-1070 to schedule yours!